If you are someone who is health-conscious, you probably have heard of probiotics, also known as good bacteria. They are yeast and bacteria combined, and these are the good ones, the ones found naturally in the body. They keep the body in tip-top shape and working well. They fight off harmful bacteria and facilitate the healing process.
Probiotics – How do they work?
The primary function of probiotics is to maintain a healthy balance in various functions of the body. If you are not feeling well, probiotics will fight off the bad bacteria, thereby restoring the normal functions of the body. It strengthens immune function and helps reduce inflammation. Other notable functions of probiotics include the following:
- It maintains a healthy gut, which is necessary for proper food digestion.
- It ensures that bad bacteria are at bay and if they penetrate the body, they will not cause that much harm to the body.
- It supports the lining of the gut, thereby preventing bad bacteria from entering the bloodstream.
- It is one of the catalysts in creating vitamins.
- It plays a vital role in breaking down and absorbing medications.
Now that you know some of the vital functions of probiotics, you surely are enticed to take probiotic supplements. Fortunately, there are many probiotic supplements (อาหาร เสริม โพ ร ไบ โอ ติก, term in Thai) being sold in the market today. As a matter of fact, there are many forms of probiotic supplements such as in the form of capsules, pills, powders, foods, drinks, and liquids.
The majority of probiotic supplements sold in the market today have prebiotics, which are complex carbohydrates used to feed microorganisms found in the gut. In other words, prebiotics are a food source to probiotics. Prebiotics and probiotics work in synergy to increase the body’s line of defense and improve the body’s immune response.