We all know that a baby tooth is going to fall some or the other day. So, what is the use of wearing crown on them? To tell you the truth, there are various reasons why porcelain crowns are better for your baby. But it doesn’t mean that every kid would need it.
What are dental crowns?
A dental crown is used to restore the tooth after decay. It is just like a protective shield placed on the tooth. They will just help the tooth to perform its normal function till it is ready to fall out.
If you have any such dental concerns then you might have to meet the dentist at Tooth Fairy Dental Clinic. The team here have a paediatric dentist having long treatment experience in dealing with baby teeth. They perform tooth crowning for kids (ครอบฟันน้ำนม, term in Thai) and many other teeth related problems like baby fillings, enamel, extraction etc.
Why do you need a baby tooth?
A baby tooth is very important for helping a kid chew his food properly as well as speak properly during his initial days. It also helps your permanent tooth, as it acts as a space holder and also guides it to grow properly.
Why do you need to wear crowns?
Crowns are required when there is damage that is caused to your tooth. Crowns give them the support and protection that is required later after the damage. It also adds reinforcement to the tooth till your baby gets his permanent tooth.
The damage to the tooth can be caused due to the following reasons:
- Tooth decay: It is very common amongst young kids between the age of 2 to 11 years.
- Chipped or broken tooth: This might occur when there is an accident that must have taken place as a hard fall.
The following are the advantages of tooth crowns:
- A child’s tooth enamel is much thinner as compared to the adult tooth. In such a case damage can spread fast. The Crown will act as a protective layer to prevent the spread of decay and infection to other areas of the mouth.
- Crowns can also fill in the gaps in their mouth, thus helping in proper oral care and speech development.
- It helps in proper development of the kid’s jaw
- It helps the kid to chew food properly just like his natural teeth.
What materials are used for tooth crowns?
There are four different types of tooth crowns:
- Stainless steel: This is the common type and is useful for molars as they are strong and durable. They are a cost-effective option too.
- Strip crowns: This is like a clear shell and filled with tooth coloured composite. Once the composite hardens, the cover is removed.
- Polycarbonate: This is used for the front baby tooth but its durability will depend on the condition. Thus, it is a temporary restoration
- Resin Veneer: This has the durability of stainless steel and has the beauty of resin facing. This can be used for both the front and the back tooth.
- Zirconia ceramic: It is very durable and more expensive, but it is on top of the list when choosing crowns for a baby tooth. It is made of porcelain material that can bend, mould and adjust as per the need.
It is always better to take care of the oral health of the kid, rather than going for any tooth procedures.